6 Steps to College Financial Aid Through a FAFSA Application
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Even as the price of college tuition rises significantly, Americans still believe the path to success in life is through the ivy-covered walls of U.S. colleges and universities.
According to Sallie Mae, 83% of U.S. families say a college degree is an "investment in the future." Another 69% say college is the "path to earning more money" in life.
But Sallie Mae also says 69% of American families eliminated the college of their choice because of the high cost, the highest percentage in five years.
One way to increase your odds of getting enough money to attend your school of choice is through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid."The FAFSA is the key to unlocking the financial aid that's so important to students and families," says Joe DePaulo, executive vice president of Sallie Mae. The FAFSA application is used to calculate eligibility for federal collegiate financial aid, including grants and loans, and aid from states and colleges and universities -- a critical first step in Sallie Mae's "one-two-three" approach to properly researching all possible forms of college financial aid. (Go to FAFSA.org for more detailed information on how FAFSA works.) Jan. 1 is the kickoff date for completing the form, and Sallie Mae has a few tips for students and families to maximize the opportunity:
- Review all possible grants and scholarships. (Visit Scholarships.com.)
- Review all possible federal student loans. (Visit the Federal Student Aid website.)
- Review all private college loans. (PrivateStudentLoans.com is a good clearinghouse.)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV