10 Worst Industries for Small Businesses
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- What's happening in small business today?
1. What are the weakest sectors for small business? Before starting a business, make sure you have done research on your industry. From dry cleaning and laundry to office supplies and stationery to death-care services, The Washington Post identified 10 industries with the slowest growing sales and, in one case, shrinking sales.
2. Fast-food workers protest across the country. Earlier this month, hundreds of fast-food workers in New York City protested low wages and the inability to unionize, adding to the growing list of franchise employees across the country who are bring attention to what is perceived as unsatisfactory work conditions, according to QSR Magazine.
While the protests may not find much traction, major operators like McDonald's, Taco Bell and Chipotle should still take them seriously in order to curb negative public sentiment that might drive away customers, experts tell QSR.3. Top small-business blogs. BizPenguin created a list of the top small-business blogs for 2013. Add them to your daily reading list if you're looking to catch up on trends, resources or just some really cool inspiration. -- Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. Follow @LKulikowski To contact Laurie Kulikowski, send an email to: Laurie.Kulikowski@thestreet.com. >To submit a news tip, email: email@example.com.
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV