10 Worst Industries for Small Businesses
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- What's happening in small business today?
1. What are the weakest sectors for small business? Before starting a business, make sure you have done research on your industry. From dry cleaning and laundry to office supplies and stationery to death-care services, The Washington Post identified 10 industries with the slowest growing sales and, in one case, shrinking sales.
2. Fast-food workers protest across the country. Earlier this month, hundreds of fast-food workers in New York City protested low wages and the inability to unionize, adding to the growing list of franchise employees across the country who are bring attention to what is perceived as unsatisfactory work conditions, according to QSR Magazine.
While the protests may not find much traction, major operators like McDonald's, Taco Bell and Chipotle should still take them seriously in order to curb negative public sentiment that might drive away customers, experts tell QSR.3. Top small-business blogs. BizPenguin created a list of the top small-business blogs for 2013. Add them to your daily reading list if you're looking to catch up on trends, resources or just some really cool inspiration. -- Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. Follow @LKulikowski To contact Laurie Kulikowski, send an email to: Laurie.Kulikowski@thestreet.com. >To submit a news tip, email: email@example.com.
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV