So, lesson number one for Randi -- this is not about "privacy settings," but it sure as hell is not about "digital etiquette" or "human decency." Drama queen!. This is about common sense.
If 40,000 people might see something you post, somebody is going to share it with a much wider audience, even if you asked them not to (which you didn't).
But lesson number two goes beyond that. And everybody knows this. It's Facebook. It's the place where your old high school friends rip gays, blame Obama for everything, brag about their annoying children and position their dysfunctional families as prosperous, cheery and well-adjusted.
There are no rules. And that's not simply because Facebook management has done a horrendous job of setting them (or not setting them) since day one. It's just the nature of the beast.Mark Zuckerberg wants a "more open and connected" world, a place where "people spread and consume information," so what does he expect? Sure he can qualify this with statements such as "People sharing more -- even if just with their close friends and families -- creates a more open culture ..." but what in the world does that mean? Randi has 40,000 "close friends" and family. She blasted this photo to 40,000 people, including, presumably, many strangers or loose acquaintances, via a platform with the stated mission of getting "everyone in the world connected" and she expects it stay within that massive circle? She's smarter than that. And she needs to get over herself. Follow @rocco_thestreet --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV