ATLANTA, Dec. 27, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Georgia Power offers the following tips to help customers save money and energy as winter approaches.
- Keep your thermostat at the lowest comfortable setting. Georgia Power recommends 68 degrees Fahrenheit. Every degree above 68 can add three percent to the heating bill.
- Keep heating vents and registers clear. Make sure they are not blocked by draperies or furniture. Vents should also be cleaned regularly with a vacuum or broom.
- Caulk, re-caulk or add weatherstripping around windows and doors. This helps keep the cold out and the heat in. If caulking or weather stripping is cracked, remove it and reseal with new materials.
- Let the sun shine in. On sunny days, open drapes or blinds to allow natural solar heat to warm the house.
- Change air filters. Dirty filters can increase heating system operating costs. Change filters every month or so to help the unit run properly.
- Wrap water pipes. This will reduce heat loss from hot water lines and help to prevent pipes from freezing.
- Dress warmly, even indoors. This will allow a lower thermostat setting without sacrificing comfort.
- Make sure fireplace dampers fit tightly, and keep them closed when not using the fireplace. Add a glass fireplace screen, if possible.
- Have your heating system professionally checked to make sure it's running properly. This can prolong the life of the system, as well as reduce operating costs.
- Remove window air conditioning units during winter months.
Visit georgiapower.com and check out our How-To videos for more easy tips on preparing the home for winter. The videos offer step by step instructions for making your home comfortable, while saving money and energy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV