L-3 produces attractive cash flows, generating enough wherewithal to pay down its debt and offer investors a 2.6% dividend yield. The black cloud of defense cuts has already been priced into shares of LLL, a fact that helps to reduce the risks for investors who are only now looking at this $7 billion stock. A bargain price and a history of returning cash to shareholders makes LLL look like a good way to get defense sector exposure in 2013.
St. Jude Medical
Cadiovascular device maker St. Jude Medical (STJ) makes the world's most widely used mechanical heart valve as well as drug delivery systems, pacemakers, and defibrillators. In the last year, this heart health firm has returned a 13% shareholder yield to investors.
The combination of an aging global population and heart disease's status as the leading cause of death in western countries gives St. Jude some substantial tailwinds in the next few years. St. Jude has done yeoman's work in developing medical devices that prolong lives, and as R&D spending stays strong, it doesn't look likely to lose the leading position it enjoys in many of its medical device areas.While growth-by-acquisition has been key to STJ's strategy, more than half of the firm's debt load is effectively wiped out by its cash on hand -- and it's been paying down those obligations at a breakneck pace. This firm's combination of stock buybacks, a 2.55% yield, and debt extinguishment mean that investors have a $1.5 billion bigger claim to STJ's assets than they did just a year ago. As that trend of returning value to owners continues, we should see that reflected better in this company's share price in 2013. To see these names in action, check out the Shareholder Yield Stocks portfolio on Stockpickr.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV