According to a news report from Japan, Toshiba is about to unveil a tiny new camera module that will let you refocus a photograph after you've taken it.
The company has developed a small (1-cm) camera module for small electronic devices that contains more than 500,000 tiny lenses in front of the image sensor. It's similar to the way that some insects see the world.
Each lens allows you to record slightly different images, and some very nifty software in the camera will produce one large compound image. The camera will actually measure the proper distance to an object by measuring the small distances between the thousands of tiny images captured.The camera module will also be able to do some interesting things with video, such as keeping a subject in focus in the foreground while allowing you to replace what is seen in the background. It's not the first photo module to accomplish such feats. U.S.-based Lytro announced a similar product earlier this year but its module is much larger. Toshiba is expected to make the official announcement at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas next month. But the actual module might not be available in consumer products until later in 2013. -- Written by Gary Krakow in New York >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV