NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- One of my major themes this fall for retail stocks is that it is highly unusual for consumer staples, consumer discretionary and retail-wholesale companies to be plays on technical momentum, but that was a story in 2012. I have been profiling a dozen retail bubble stocks, and after setting new all time highs or multi-year highs this year, these stocks have been deflating into year end.
On Wednesday, I wrote
On Nov. 29 I wrote
Among the dozen bubble stocks, six are undervalued and six are overvalued. One has a strong buy rating, nine have buy ratings, and two have hold ratings. Only one has declined slightly over the last 12 months and eight had double-digit gains between 16.1% and 67.7% over the last 12 months. All are projected to be higher over the next 12 months by 2.9% to 14.0% thus lagging the performance of the past 12 months. Six have reasonable trailing 12 months price-to-earnings ratios, and six have elevated P/E.Chart Courtesy of Thomson/Reuters Nine of the 12 retail bubble stocks are components of the iShares Dow Jones US Consumer Services sector index fund (IYC). IYC ($85.88) set an all-time high at $89.08 on Dec. 18, and closed Wednesday below its 50-day simple moving average at $86.11, which indicates risk to the 200-day SMA at $82.94. The weekly chart (not shown) shifts to neutral from positive on a close this week below the five-week modified moving average at $86.25. My annual value level is $78.65 with monthly and weekly pivots at $86.72 and $86 93 and quarterly risky level at $90.39.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV