PETALUMA, Calif., Dec. 27, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Oculus Innovative Sciences, Inc. (Nasdaq: OCLS) a healthcare company that designs, produces and markets innovative, safe and effective anti-infective products and medical devices while also developing multiple drug candidates, today announced the issuance of new U.S. patent for the use of Microcyn® Technology in the treatment of skin ulcers. In this application, Microcyn Technology can be delivered to skin ulcers via washing, irrigation and soaking or through application of a wound dressing saturated in the Microcyn Technology. According to claims allowed by the patent examiner, the application of the Microcyn Technology via these methods will:
- Reduce the microbial load of an infected diabetic foot ulcer;
- Decrease the recurrence rate of an infected diabetic foot ulcer;
- Decrease the likelihood of dehiscence of an infected diabetic foot ulcer;
- Decrease the likelihood of amputation resulting from an infected diabetic foot ulcer;
- Decrease the likelihood of systemic inflammatory response syndrome from an infected diabetic foot ulcer;
- Decrease the likelihood of sepsis resulting from an infected diabetic foot ulcer.
Hoji Alimi, founder and CEO of Oculus said: "Skin ulcers, in varying presentations, are a significant challenge to the well being of millions. In fact, over six million Americans are afflicted each year with chronic wounds including arterial, diabetic, pressure and venous ulcers. The Microcyn Technology, cleared for the management of these ulcers by the FDA, is our first step into these large markets. This latest patent provides Oculus with the intellectual property protection necessary for an optimum return on our commercialization efforts, as well as those of our industry partners."
The latest-issued patent joins a growing intellectual property estate (either owned or licensed to Oculus) that now includes 24 issued patents and 100+ pending applications directed to chemical compositions, apparatuses, methods of manufacturing and therapeutic uses.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV