- Repurpose it. Maybe you got an ashtray and you're not a smoker. All is not lost, Gottsman says. "Repurpose it. Put candy in it." Or perhaps you got a lamp that just doesn't align with your sense of style. "If you can bear it, put it in a guest room. Repurpose it that way," Gottsman says.
- Donate it. Is there a less-fortunate person who might be able to use the gift -- a family member fallen on hard times, a housekeeper? If you don't know anyone who might enjoy your unwanted item, consider donating it to a local charity or nonprofit. "Donate to a worthy cause," Gottsman says. "If it's a nice sweater, but not something you particularly like, as a gesture of good will, donate it to a charity. Pay it forward."
- Regift it -- strategically. One man's trash is another man's treasure. You may not be crazy about a sweater with pink and green stripes, but someone else might see that same sweater as a thing of beauty. Swann has three rules when it comes to regifting, though: Don't regift within the same circle of friends or family; rewrap or repackage the gift, removing all telltale signs it was a present; and make sure to give the gift to someone who will actually enjoy it. "You're not regifting just to get rid of it - you really want to be thoughtful," Swann says.
- Sell it at a garage sale -- eventually. If you absolutely must sell the gift, the most harmless way to do so is a yard sale or garage sale, which tend not to be held for pure profit motive. And even then it's best to wait a few years. Beyond that, be careful about which gifts you chose to part with this way. "Don't sell a gift at a yard sale if it was a neighbor who gave it to you," Gottsman advises.
4 Etiquette Expert-Approved Ways to Ditch Unwanted Gifts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.