BETHPAGE, N.Y., Dec. 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Cablevision Systems Corporation (NYSE: CVC) filed a lawsuit today against the Communications Workers of America (CWA) District 1 and Local 1109 (collectively the "CWA Union"), in New York State Supreme Court, Nassau County, for making patently false and defamatory claims about the speed and quality of Cablevision's Internet service in Brooklyn, New York.
Commenting on the lawsuit and the CWA Union, Cablevision offered the following statement:
"The CWA Union has acted in a deceptive and libelous manner with the deliberate intention of harming Cablevision, misleading our customers and injuring the reputation of our company. It is outrageous that the CWA and its Local 1109, which represents a small number of employees in one Cablevision facility in Brooklyn, would resort to these actions as part of a malicious campaign to intimidate our company. This is an insult to our Brooklyn employees and our customers, and we are taking legal action to ensure that this illegal behavior stops."
The complaint asserts that since October 2012, the CWA Union has been engaged in an unlawful campaign to discredit and libel Cablevision and its business. The centerpiece of its campaign has been the widespread dissemination of intentionally false and malicious information about Cablevision, most particularly about Cablevision's internet speeds. The CWA has ignored repeated requests to cease and desist with these illegal actions.
Cablevision's lawsuit asserts that the CWA Union has made and continues to make false and defamatory statements to the media, government officials, directly to Cablevision subscribers, and to the public through their websites that "internet speeds for Cablevision customers in Brooklyn are approximately 25% slower than for Cablevision customers in the Bronx" and that "speeds are slower in Brooklyn than the rest of the city." The CWA Union has made additional statements in the media and elsewhere that Cablevision is purposefully providing an inferior service to its Brooklyn customers.The CWA Union's statements are demonstrably false, malicious and without foundation based on the following key facts:
- Cablevision in fact delivers services over identically provisioned, equivalent infrastructure to both Brooklyn and the Bronx.
- The FCC, in the government's most definitive measurement of broadband speed delivered by Internet service providers, concluded in a report from July 2012 that Cablevision provides superior Internet service, delivering faster speeds than advertised across the entire day and peak weeknight hours.
- The CWA Union's purported testing of Cablevision's Internet is based on flawed and unreliable data collected outside of Cablevision's network.
- Staged a protest in an attempt to disrupt a cancer research fundraising event sponsored by Cablevision
- Exploited Hurricane Sandy by placing misleading "robocalls" to storm victims
- Disseminated untruthful statements about the company to government officials
- Misled Cablevision customers
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV