The sole downside setup we're looking at today is communications giant Verizon (VZ). Even though Verizon isn't a tech stock in the traditional sense, its exposure to mobile phone sales and its scale as an internet service provider means that its price action correlates highly with the rest of the tech sector. But more recently, that correlation has decoupled thanks to a topping pattern in shares.
Verizon is forming a head and shoulders top right now, a bearish pattern that indicates exhaustion among buyers. The head and shoulders is formed by two swing highs that top out around the same level (the shoulders), separated by a bigger peak called the head. A breakdown below the pattern's support level, called the neckline, triggers the sell signal for this stock. For Verizon, the sell signal comes in right at $41.50...
The head and shoulders may be a popular pattern, but it's also a potent one: a recent academic study conducted by the Federal Reserve Board of New York found that the results of 10,000 computer-simulated head-and-shoulders trades resulted in "profits [that] would have been both statistically and economically significant." That's a good reason to keep an eye on how this stock trades for the next week.To see this week's trades in action, check out the Technical Setups for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. Follow Stockpickr on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV