Mid-cap software firm Aspen Technology (AZPN) is forming a channel of its own, with a twist. Instead of consolidating sideways like Symantec, Aspen has been bouncing higher in an uptrending channel. That uptrend gives traders a high-probability range for shares to move through.
Aspen's trend channel has been intact since the beginning of the summer, as shares pinballed in between the glut of demand for shares at trendline support and the glut of supply at resistance. The fact that support has stopped the decline in shares the last five times it's been tested bodes well for the strength of that line going forward. Any stock in an uptrending channel presents a buying opportunity, but for risk-averse investors, the best time to buy comes after a bounce off of support.
That bounce is important because all support levels do eventually fail, and when they do, you don't want to be left holding the bag -- it shows that AZPN can still catch a bid at support before you buy. If you decide to be a buyer, I'd recommend keeping a protective stop just below the 50-day moving average.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV