We're seeing another bottoming pattern forming in shares of Micron Technology (MU). Like Microsoft, Micron has underperformed the broad market this year, barely breaking even between the first trading day of January and today. But a long-term double bottom formation in shares is a sign that shareholders could be getting a reprieve from selling very soon.
A double bottom is a price pattern that's formed by two swing lows that bottom out at approximately the same price level. The two bottoms are separated by a peak that marks that resistance level for the setup -- a breakout above that price (right around $7 for MU) is the buy signal for shares. It's worth noting that resistance in Micron is actually tougher than just a single peak: that $7 barrier has been acting like strong resistance on the last five attempts higher. Believe it or not, that's actually a good thing because it means that a breakout above resistance carries more technical significance for MU.
Remember that this is a long-term pattern -- it's been forming since all the way back in April, so its trading implications are bigger too. The breakout above $7 is likely to come with a long-term shift towards buyers being in control of this stock...
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV