Investors are also increasingly confident in a significant return of capital from Bank of America, as the company builds capital. The company reported Tier 1 common equity of $136.4 billion as of Sept. 30, increasing by $9.7 billion from the end of 2011. The estimated Basel III Tier 1 common equity ratio was 8.97% as of Sept. 30, meaning the company was just a hair under its fully phased-in Basel III minimum ratio, many years ahead of the Federal Reserve's requirement.
Atlantic Equities analyst Richard Staite on Dec. 13 said that he expected Bank of America to return about $6 billion in capital to investors during 2013 through stock buybacks and an increase to the quarterly dividend on common shares from its current nominal level of a penny.
The analyst estimated that by the end of 2013, Bank of America "will have $19bn in surplus capital and falling costs should have boosted earnings. We therefore forecast it will return $14bn in 2014 composed of a $4bn dividend and a $10bn buyback. This will put it on a par with [JPMorgan Chase (JPM)] where we forecast a $15bn capital return in 2014."
Staite rates Bank of America a "Buy," with a $12 price target.BAC data by YCharts
Interested in more on Bank of America? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV