Updated with market close information, stock ratios and an economic report.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average
Part of the discussions will no doubt be the Alternative Minimum Tax, which was enacted during the 1960's in order to ensure that upper-income taxpayers with a large amount of deductions to their adjustable income pay a minimum in federal income taxes. The problem with the AMT is that it is not indexed to inflation. This requires Congress to pass a bill each year to "patch" the AMT in order to keep its reach from expanding to millions more taxpayers.Congress and the president had plenty of time to do their annual work on the AMT, which never had anything to do with the Fiscal Cliff. Unfortunately, the procrastination in Washington has complicated not only the Fiscal Cliff -- created in compromise between President Obama and Congress in 2011, in order to force politicians to at least address the runaway federal deficit and national debt -- but the work of the Internal Revenue Service. Since the IRS still doesn't know how the AMT will work for 2012, everyone's favorite federal agency will have little time to update its systems to address the AMT patch, or the expansion of the AMT if no patch is passed. Acting IRS Commissioner Steven Miller sent a letter to Congress in November and another letter last Wednesday, saying that "the most recent AMT Patch, and the exemption amounts of $74,450 for joint filers and $48,450 for single taxpayers, expired at the end of 2011," and that without a new patch for 2012, "the current-law AMT exemption amounts are much lower: $45,000 for joint filers and $33,750 for single taxpayers."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV