As a short-term trade, I sold volatility with a long bias based on technical analysis of the chart pattern and the high option premium. Herbalife is oversold in my opinion.
Is Herbalife a good investment? With a forward yield of more than 4% and a single-digit forward price-to-earnings ratio, it's compelling.
Ackman alleges that Herbalife is an illegal organization, so some investors might think a significant downside risk is that the government could shut it down.
But I don't think the downside risk reasonably includes a forced shutdown by the government.Of course, forced changes in compensation, rules, recruiting as a result of government demands are always a real possibility, but it's hard to argue that such business model adjustments are not already priced in. I respect Mr. Ackman, and if he states a company is worth zero, I pay attention. You ignore him at your peril, as many Herbalife investors now realize. But he also has people making slides questioning whether anyone has bought products from a company that generates more than $5 billion a year in sales. Maybe the chances of Herbalife falling to zero next year are about as low as those of a new contractor making more than $100,000. At the time of publication, Weinstein was long HLF. Follow @RobertWeinstein This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV