NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- On the heels of the First Trust CBOE S&P 500 VIX Tail Hedge ETF (VIXH) launch a few months ago, PowerShares is listing a competing VIX-hedged fund with the PowerShares S&P 500 Downside Hedged ETF (PHDG).
The funds are similar in that they use the CBOE Volatility Index, commonly known as the VIX, to try to protect against large declines in the market.
But the specific ways in which they do this are very different. VIXH continuously maintains a 1% position in VIX front-month calls. PHDG, on the other hand, bills itself as actively managed to own various combinations of equities via the S&P 500, cash and VIX futures.
More specifically, PHDG uses a rules-based methodology that appears to be very complicated.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV