The Digital Skeptic: The Web Guts Bob's Sport & Tackle
KATONAH, N.Y. (TheStreet) -- It looks like the local bait shop is joining the news, music and publishing industry as digital fish food. John Miller is sadly angling for this to be his last holiday here at Bob's Sport & Tackle.
"When I look at my life," he told me inside this dusty, wood-heated, two-room retail man cave down the road from the PepsiCo (PEP) world headquarters, "I realize the future is not going to be here."
Miller got his start working at this fishing and hunting supply shop for his Aunt Lucy when he was 12. From the first day, he knew this was his place in the outdoor retail sun. He spent pretty much every spare minute -- 60 to 70 hours a week at times -- selling licenses, gear, sawbellies, along with the critical, intricate knowledge of where and how to use it all the right way in the nearby city reservoirs and woods.
When he graduated from Westchester Community College in 2007, Miller was the natural choice to take over from Lucy. And from then until a few months back, he and his brown marshmallow of a pitbull, Caesar, have been the kings of this sportsman's paradise.So what's hunted him down? "It's the Internet," he said. "I can't compete." No place to hide
The sad part, for investors anyway, is that the Web was supposed to be trophy time for local experts such as Miller. The guy has the absolute lock on the critical local whereabouts of the overlooked monster freshwater fish that jam nearby New York City reservoirs. Read it and weep, you sportsmen that drop ten large on hip holiday fishing junkets to Montana or Manitoba. Unbeknownst to most -- especially those online -- the biggest freshwater fish you're likely to catch are just 30 or so miles from Wall Street. Why? "9/11 had a lot to do with it," Miller explained.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV