A Guide To Physical Gold Investing
Many people have heard about the benefits of gold. They know it is a prefe rred safe haven. They know people use it to protect against inflation. And they realize that they also should invest a portion of their wealth in bullion. What isn't as clear is what is involved in building and managing a physical gold portfolio.
Spot prices and costs
Investing in physical gold is often oversimplified, and the misconceptions can begin with pricing.A spot price by definition is the cost of immediate delivery and is a way to gauge how reasonable the ask or retail price is. The retail price is an amount that includes a mark up, or premium. Unfortunately, some investors only realize that spot prices are not what one pays for gold when they go to make their first purchase. In addition to the premium, there are numerous other expenses investors should be prepared to pay, including shipping, handling and insurance. There may also be processing fees or small lot fees for small purchases. In some instances, prices may be higher for individuals who choose to pay with a credit card. Then again, gold prices are sometimes lower for those purchasing larger quantities. Choosing physical gold Physical gold investors are generally looking for items that are 0.999 fine. Several products fit this description and one of the most preferred is gold coins, such as the South African Krugerrand or the American Gold Eagle. Another option is gold rounds, which are similar to coins, but are not legal tender. Both gold coins and gold rounds come in various sizes, usually ranging from 1/10 ounce (oz) to 1 oz, though other less common sizes are also available.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV