Top 10 Performing Junior Oil And Gas Companies Of 2012
6. Kingsland Energy (TSXV:KEC); current price: $0.54; year-to-date gain: 170.00 percent; 52-week high: $0.73.
Kingsland is a Saskatchewan-based junior oil company focused on using advanced drilling and production optimization techniques to develop significant oil reserves in Canada's prairie provinces. Its share price jumped in January this year when the company acquired two prospective discoveries near Weyburn, Saskatchewan. The company aims to develop the pools using horizontal drilling technology, which will ensure optimal reservoir development.
Kingsland also closed the acquisition of Condor Canada Petroleum's assets in the Steelman-Ward area of Saskatchewan. The company will hold a 100-percent working interest in the 1,760 acres of petroleum and natural gas leases.
7. Petromin Resources (TSXV:PTR); current price: $0.10; year-to-date gain: 150.00 percent; 52-week high: $0.12.Petromin is a petroleum and natural gas company exploring for both conventional and unconventional energy deposits. Currently the company is focused on its coalbed methane (CBM) in Western China. The company also has five oil- and gas-producing properties in Alberta's Western Canada Sedimentary Basin. In August, the company provided investors with an update for its Liuhuaggou CBM project which included a report —The Norwest Report— detailing a higher level of CBM contingent resources. The best estimate for the area was 147.43 billion cubic feet of CBM. In early November, Petromin announced that the Morningside oil prospect, located in Alberta, had begun production. 8. Eaglewood Energy (TSXV:EWD); current price: $0.43; year-to-date gain: 145.71 percent; 52-week high: $0.62. Eaglewood Energy is a Canada-headquartered oil and gas company with exploration licenses in Papua New Guinea. The company saw its share price start to climb in August, following the announcement that it had closed the sale of Petroleum Prospecting License (PPL) 260 as well as the default on the obligations that Mega Fortune International required to be completed. That led to Eaglewood maintaining a 65-percent equity interest and operatorship of PPL 259. The company's CEO, Brad Hurtubise, commented: "We are very pleased to have completed the Esso transaction which provides additional capital to re-deploy in our other licenses. As a result of the recent drilling activity around the PPL 259 area and the positive results from our first phase of seismic on PPL 259, we have seen a lot of interest in farming into the license. With the non-completion of the Mega farmout, we are now in a position to be able to do additional farmouts on better terms than the Mega transaction and still maintain a large working interest and operatorship. We have more than sufficient cash on our balance sheet to fund our next phase of seismic and complete the site preparation for our next well in Q1 2013. We are confident we can find a partner to come into the license to help us continue to fund its further development.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV