Because of the risk of liver toxicity, JUXTAPID is available only through a restricted program called the JUXTAPID Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy (REMS) Program. Aegerion will certify all health care providers who prescribe JUXTAPID and the pharmacies that will dispense the medicine. The goals of the REMS are:
- To educate prescribers about:
- the risk of hepatotoxicity associated with the use of JUXTAPID; and
- the need to monitor patients during treatment with JUXTAPID as per product labeling.
- To restrict access to therapy with JUXTAPID to patients with a clinical or laboratory diagnosis consistent with HoFH.
The safety and effectiveness of JUXTAPID have not been established in patients with hypercholesterolemia who do not have HoFH. The effect of JUXTAPID on cardiovascular morbidity and mortality has not been determined. The safety and effectiveness of JUXTAPID have not been established in pediatric patients.
To further understand JUXTAPID's long-term safety and effectiveness, Aegerion has made a commitment to the FDA to conduct a post-approval, observational cohort study.
As part of the planned launch of JUXTAPID, the company has developed a comprehensive support services program for patients and their healthcare providers. For more information, call this toll-free number, 1-85JUXTAPID (1-855-898-2743).Important Safety Information, including BOXED WARNING which states: WARNING: RISK OF HEPATOTOXICITY JUXTAPID can cause elevations in transaminases. In the JUXTAPID clinical trial, 10 (34%) of the 29 patients treated with JUXTAPID had at least one elevation in alanine aminotransferase (ALT) or aspartate aminotransferase (AST) ≥ 3x upper limit of normal (ULN). There were no concomitant clinically meaningful elevations of total bilirubin, international normalized ratio (INR), or alkaline phosphatase. JUXTAPID also increases hepatic fat, with or without concomitant increases in transaminases. The median absolute increase in hepatic fat was 6% after both 26 and 78 weeks of treatment, from 1% at baseline, measured by magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Hepatic steatosis associated with JUXTAPID treatment may be a risk factor for progressive liver disease, including steatohepatitis and cirrhosis.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV