At The Garden State Plaza, teen retailer Aeropostale (ARO) discounted all clothing and accessories by 60%. Charles David, Cachet and AnnTaylor (ANN) had cut prices by 50% of all merchandise. At AnnTaylor, racks of discounted clothes had been marked down by an additional 25%. One dress, originally priced at $118, was marked down to $49 but with the additional 25%, it cost $21.30.
But the deals at the mall failed to impress Wendy McCloskey, 35, of Lebanon, Ind., who started her holiday shopping Sunday at the Castleton Square Mall in Indianapolis. The snow storm that blew through the Midwest this week delayed her shopping plans, and a busy schedule with her children also got in the way. She has two teenagers and a 12-year-old, and they are all involved in sports.
She wanted to buy shoes at the Finish Line online, but balked at paying $40 for shipping. In the store, she bought five pairs of sneakers for $390. But she'd expected to see bigger discounts at the mall.
"I was so surprised. I figured they'd have better deals," she said.___ Anne D'Innocenzio reported from New York. Tom Murphy in Indianapolis contributed to this report.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV