NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- These are volatile times. In September Apple (AAPL) seemed unassailable and spiked to $705 per share. Then there was the maps fiasco, sentiment waned and suddenly it became a $520 stock. The fiscal cliff problem was solved, then it wasn't. Europe was on the brink of salvation, then implosion.
As we enter what I expect will be a recessionary environment in 2013, I am focusing on companies that offer nondiscretionary products and services, because their customers and cash flows tend to be more reliable.
One way to do this is with newly created investment motifs, which are similar to indices and are very cost-effective. You can read about this type of investing at
One motif is called simply Utility Bills. It's different from most utility indices and ETFs because it encompasses more than just payments homeowners and renters make to gas and electricity utilities. It also includes services such as cable TV, telephone and trash pickup.This motif gives you exposure to companies that benefit from people's desire to come home to a brightly lit and clean house, a hot bath, cable TV and maybe a cup of tea. Many people consider these nondiscretionary services, so demand for them is likely to remain more consistent in a sluggish economy than demand for, say, luxury travel, dining out and new cars. The 25 stocks that make up this motif, including AT&T (T), Comcast (CMCSA) and Waste Management (WM), are believed to offer investors the benefits of dividends and lower volatility. To see the stability of cashflows that can come from providing, say, Internet services, consider Comcast and its very popular on-demand services.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV