5 Ways To Avoid Credit Card Fraud This Shopping Season
Also, while most clerks are honest, keep an eye on your card as it is swiped. There have been reports of some instances in which a clerk will swipe a card twice - once on the store register and once on a separate skimmer they use to collect numbers for their own devious purposes.
4. Put a password on your mobile phone
Smart phones can almost do it all - play music, browse the web and (gasp!) even make phone calls. One of the latest innovations is that of the mobile wallet which lets you set up your credit card information in an app and then use your phone to make payments rather than pull out the physical card.
All this technology can be great, but you need to think about how much sensitive material is stored on your phone. What happens when it is lost or stolen? Take a preventive measure by password protecting your phone.
5. Use a prepaid card
Finally, you can largely avoid the risk of ongoing credit card fraud by using a prepaid credit card. Although traditional credit cards limit your liability to $50 in the event of fraud, a thief can wreck havoc in a short period of time and sorting out the mess can be quite a headache. Prepaid cards prevent criminals from maxing out your credit in a day and potentially impacting your credit score. In particular, they can be a good alternative if you are feeling unsure about a website's security.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV