Hawaii Unemployment Rate Hits 4-year Low
By BECKY BOHRER
HONOLULU (AP) â¿¿ Hawaii's unemployment rate has fallen to its lowest level in four years, hitting 5.3 percent.
That rate, while still preliminary, compares with 5.5 percent a month earlier and 6.7 percent in November 2011, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics said Friday.
Last month's rate was the lowest in Hawaii since November 2008, just before the state began feeling the effects of the recession and the softened U.S. economy.The unemployment rate has generally been trending lower since October 2011, when it stood at 6.8 percent. Nationally, the seasonally adjusted unemployment rate was 7.7 percent last month. Hawaii added 4,600 non-agricultural jobs between October and November, according to a state labor department business survey, bringing the total to 612,700. Government employment rose by 2,200 jobs between October and November, which the department attributes largely to temporary hires to help with the general election. The state added 17,700 jobs between November 2011 and November 2012, with some of the bigger gains seen in the industries of trade, transportation and utilities; leisure and hospitality; and construction.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV