DEARBORN, Mich., Dec. 21, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- Ford vehicles including the all-new 2013 Fusion are increasingly equipped with sensors that assist drivers with increased awareness
- Sensor fusion, machine learning, and "big data" among the predictions for the next wave of Ford research and development
State-of-the-art sensing, computing and communications systems are not only quickly changing consumer expectations in people's everyday lives, but are driving innovation in the automotive industry at an incredible pace in preparation for the future.
"Ford was founded on the innovative spirit of Henry Ford, and the opportunity today to reinvent the driving experience excites us just as it probably would have him," said Paul Mascarenas, vice president and chief technical officer of Ford. "Technology is enabling Ford to bring a new level of awareness and intelligence that will dramatically enhance our customers' time behind the wheel."
As CTO, Mascarenas has been leading the team researching and developing new technologies for Ford vehicles, particularly in the area of driver assistance and mobile device connectivity."The new Fusion sedan demonstrates how we're making the car smarter using attainable and affordable technology and thus helping create a better driver," continues Mascarenas. "Fusion features an unprecedented level of sensors for its driver assist technologies, machine learning techniques to deliver more electric-only driving on the hybrids, and innovative graphical interfaces to help coach drivers to be as fuel efficient as possible." With more than 145 actuators, 4716 signals, and 74 sensors including radar, sonar, cameras, accelerometers, temperature and even rain sensors, the 2013 Fusion can monitor the perimeter around the car and see into places that are not readily visible from the driver's seat. These sensors produce more than 25 gigabytes of data per hour which is analyzed by more than 70 on-board computers. The actuators combined with signal information from the driver assist sensors can alert the driver to potential dangers, and actively assist with parking and lane keeping.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV