NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Peace, love and harmony. A tip of the hat to the current holiday season or a clever business deal?
We're discussing the announcement between Nokia (NOK) and Research In Motion (RIMM) -- they've agreed to settle their long-festering patent dispute. Actually, they're saying they've settled "all legal actions" between each other.
According to Nokia's official press release, RIM will make a one-time payment to Nokia and continue payments for use of Nokia patents in BlackBerry products. The exact amounts involved weren't disclosed, but some bloggers believe it might be similar to what Apple (AAPL) and Nokia agreed to in 2011.
As a consequence, both companies will drop all patent lawsuits in the U.S., Canada and Great Britain."We are very pleased to have resolved our patent licensing issues with RIM, while maintaining Nokia's ability to protect our unique product differentiation," Nokia Chief Intellectual Officer Paul Melin said in the release. "This agreement demonstrates Nokia's industry leading patent portfolio and enables us to focus on further licensing opportunities in the mobile communications market." Nokia also boasts: "During the last two decades, Nokia has invested approximately 45 billion euros in research and development and built the wireless industry's strongest and broadest IPR (Intellectual Property Rights) portfolio with around 10,000 patent families." Research In Motion has yet to comment on the deal. -- Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV