NEWPORT NEWS, Va., Dec. 21, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Huntington Ingalls Industries (NYSE:HII) announced today that its Newport News Shipbuilding (NNS) division donated more than $23,500 and more than 31,000 pounds of non-perishable food to the Virginia Peninsula Foodbank during the shipyard's annual holiday food drive.
A photo accompanying this release is available at http://media.globenewswire.com/hii/mediagallery.html?pkgid=16409
"We are fortunate to employ an extraordinary group of people at Newport News Shipbuilding," said Chavis Harris, NNS' director, EEO, diversity and corporate citizenship. "Each year we challenge our folks to give back to the community, and each year their generosity raises the bar. We are proud of their kindness and happy to support such a worthy cause."In addition to spurring generosity, the food drive sparked shipbuilders' competitive spirit and creativity. Food donations that were collected were stacked to build pyramids, Christmas trees and used to fill offices from desk to door. "We are thrilled and humbly appreciate all that Newport News Shipbuilding's employees do for the Foodbank and the community," said Loretta Jones-Knauth, chief philanthropy officer for the Virginia Peninsula Foodbank. "On behalf of the families and individuals who benefit from their support, we are proud to say thank you to the extraordinary individuals at the shipyard who are making a real difference in the lives of others and who are committed partners to the Foodbank of the Virginia Peninsula."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV