BETHESDA, Md., Dec. 21, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Lockheed Martin (NYSE: LMT) and its employees donated more than 9,000 gifts, 2,000 pounds of food, and 650 meals for families in need, as well as 6,200 care packages for troops this holiday season.
Additionally, the corporation donated more than $25 million to nonprofit organizations in 2012, and to date, its employees volunteered more than 650,000 hours to worthy community organizations. Lockheed Martin annually commits its philanthropic contributions to science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education; military and veteran causes; and local community programs.
"In 2012, Lockheed Martin employees generously donated time and resources to important community programs and initiatives," said Lockheed Martin's President and Chief Operating Officer Marillyn Hewson. "With more than 650,000 volunteer hours and counting, our employees are engaged in their local communities and helping those in need. I'm proud of their work, and I look forward to their continuing support in 2013."
Holiday giving included:
- One unique holiday partnership involved support for the U.S. Marine Corps' Toys for Tots program. In Georgia and Washington, D.C., employees helped load the Blue Angels' C-130 cargo plane, also known as Fat Albert, with more than 900 toys for children affected by Hurricane Sandy in New York and New Jersey.
- In a separate hurricane relief effort, Lockheed Martin employees also made a special delivery of more than 1,900 pounds of food to the Community Food Bank of New Jersey. The food was collected by employees in Pennsylvania, Delaware and New Jersey and included everything from canned goods to baby supplies for those displaced by Hurricane Sandy.
- Another holiday giving opportunity involved care packages for troops. This holiday season, Lockheed Martin's facilities in New Jersey, New York, Virginia and California stuffed more than 6,200 holiday care packages to bring Christmas cheer to troops overseas. These packages were just a small part of the 19,000 USO care packages that Lockheed Martin employees prepared this year.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts