Delivering Change to the Last Mile
The facilitator begins by asking the incumbent how the role represents his daily behavior and also what he feels are his strengths and weaknesses to the new role. She then asks, "What do you need from your manager to be successful in your new role?" Next, she turns to the manager and asks similar questions. The output of this session is a document with all agreements and a date for the next meeting to check and reset agreements.
Delivering the last mile won't succeed by headquarters decree. It occurs on the battlefield with hand-to-hand combat. The principles are:
- Start with a B. Starting with perfection is too complicated.
- Let incumbents/teams customize the new process to meet their individual skills and customer needs, then follow-up until the behavior changes.
- Involve key stakeholders throughout the project. Management by policies does not work. Management by managers is better. But the best is management is by peers.
- Give lots of recognition. You remember freshman psychology. Any movement toward the right direction is rewarded. It works with animals. It works with children. And it works with adults.
This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV