By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Alcatel-Lucent popped earlier in the month, and the bulls came back Thursday.
OptionMonster's tracking systems detected heavy buying in the June 1.50 calls for 25 cents to 30 cents. The first blocks crossed our screens late in the morning, and activity continued to build throughout the session. More than 23,000 would change hands by the close, compared with previous open interest of 1,597 contracts.
The stock fell 0.69% to close at $1.44 but pared earlier losses after the trades hit. The beaten-down telecom supplier is up 29% in the last week alone after securing a key loan from Credit Suisse and Goldman Sachs.Calls lock in the price where investors can buy stock, no matter how high share prices go. As a result, these options can generate significant leverage in the event of a rally but will expire worthless if the stock fails to move. Total option volume in Alcatel-Lucent was 13 times greater than average Thursday, with calls outnumbering puts by a bullish 160-to-1 ratio. Russell has no positions in ALU.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV