By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Alcatel-Lucent popped earlier in the month, and the bulls came back Thursday.
OptionMonster's tracking systems detected heavy buying in the June 1.50 calls for 25 cents to 30 cents. The first blocks crossed our screens late in the morning, and activity continued to build throughout the session. More than 23,000 would change hands by the close, compared with previous open interest of 1,597 contracts.
The stock fell 0.69% to close at $1.44 but pared earlier losses after the trades hit. The beaten-down telecom supplier is up 29% in the last week alone after securing a key loan from Credit Suisse and Goldman Sachs.Calls lock in the price where investors can buy stock, no matter how high share prices go. As a result, these options can generate significant leverage in the event of a rally but will expire worthless if the stock fails to move. Total option volume in Alcatel-Lucent was 13 times greater than average Thursday, with calls outnumbering puts by a bullish 160-to-1 ratio. Russell has no positions in ALU.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV