- Acquires World-class technology platform and expertise
- Provides growth opportunities in adjacent markets
DANBURY, Conn., Dec. 20, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- FuelCell Energy, Inc. (Nasdaq:FCEL) a global leader in the design, manufacture, operation and service of ultra-clean, efficient and reliable fuel cell power plants, today announced that it has acquired the remaining shares of Versa Power Systems, Inc. (Versa). Versa is a leading solid oxide fuel cell developer with research facilities in Littleton, Colorado, USA and Calgary, Canada. The addition of solid oxide fuel cell technology strengthens the global leadership position of FuelCell Energy. Prior to this action, FuelCell Energy, Inc. owned approximately 39 percent of Versa.
"We view solid oxide fuel cell technology as complementary to our carbonate fuel cell product line as we target megawatt and multi-megawatt applications with our Direct FuelCell® power plants and are attracted to solid oxide for future sub-megawatt power generation and storage applications," said Chip Bottone, President and Chief Executive Officer, FuelCell Energy, Inc. "We will continue to develop the Versa technology under the existing U.S. Department of Energy SECA program and are in advanced discussions with multiple partners for collaboration in commercializing the technology."
Mr. Bottone continued, "By acquiring Versa, we can leverage our current infrastructure, expertise, and experience to accelerate the commercialization of this solid oxide fuel cell technology to expand our market opportunities.""The Versa fuel cell technology has been termed world class by a number of independent experts based on the high power density, high efficiency, and level of scale attained in the size of the fuel cell stacks achieved to date, which drives the power generation capabilities," said Tony Leo, Vice President Application Engineering & Advanced Technology Development, FuelCell Energy, Inc. "Using the Versa technology and our expertise with fuel cell stacking and balance of plant, we are currently testing a 60 kilowatt solid oxide fuel cell stack that has exhibited performance providing approximately 60 percent electrical efficiency in a power plant system, and still provide usable exhaust heat for combined heat and power applications. This is an unprecedented performance potential."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV