Florida, Your Insurance Coverage Just Changed
Question: In Florida, what changes are there to the PIP coverage? I've heard a lot of talk about changes in 2013, but I don't know the details.
Answer: Even with changes to Florida's no-fault insurance, car owners here are still required to purchase $10,000 worth of personal injury protection (PIP) coverage. PIP will continue pay out 80 percent of medical expenses that are found to be necessary and reasonable, regardless of fault.
However, starting in Jan. 1, 2013, there are changes in Florida concerning how quickly you must receive medical treatment for your injuries and who can treat them. How much you can be paid will depend upon your medical condition -- if your injury isn't declared serious, then you can only receive up to $2,500 in PIP benefits.
Under the revisions to Florida's no-fault law (Florida Statute 627.736), you must initialize medical services and care within 14 days of the accident in order for to be eligible for benefits. The law is also strict about who can see you for your initial medical treatment.Starting in 2013, your initial medical care must be:
- provided by emergency medical services personnel, or
- provided in a hospital, or
- in a facility that owns or is wholly owned by a hospital, or
- provided by a medical doctor, an osteopath, a dentist, or chiropractor.
- Ambulatory surgery center
- Medical doctor
- Physician's assistant
- Advanced registered nurse practitioner (ARNP)
- Physical therapist
- Certain health care clinics
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV