Florida, Your Insurance Coverage Just Changed
Question: In Florida, what changes are there to the PIP coverage? I've heard a lot of talk about changes in 2013, but I don't know the details.
Answer: Even with changes to Florida's no-fault insurance, car owners here are still required to purchase $10,000 worth of personal injury protection (PIP) coverage. PIP will continue pay out 80 percent of medical expenses that are found to be necessary and reasonable, regardless of fault.
However, starting in Jan. 1, 2013, there are changes in Florida concerning how quickly you must receive medical treatment for your injuries and who can treat them. How much you can be paid will depend upon your medical condition -- if your injury isn't declared serious, then you can only receive up to $2,500 in PIP benefits.
Under the revisions to Florida's no-fault law (Florida Statute 627.736), you must initialize medical services and care within 14 days of the accident in order for to be eligible for benefits. The law is also strict about who can see you for your initial medical treatment.Starting in 2013, your initial medical care must be:
- provided by emergency medical services personnel, or
- provided in a hospital, or
- in a facility that owns or is wholly owned by a hospital, or
- provided by a medical doctor, an osteopath, a dentist, or chiropractor.
- Ambulatory surgery center
- Medical doctor
- Physician's assistant
- Advanced registered nurse practitioner (ARNP)
- Physical therapist
- Certain health care clinics
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV