Merck & Co.
Another healthcare setup that's having some challenges right now is pharmaceutical giant Merck & Co. (MRK). While Merck has beaten the market year-to-date, the setup that it's currently forming could erase all of those gains pretty quickly. Here's why...
Right now, Merck is forming a head and shoulders top, a price pattern that indicates exhaustion among buyers. The head and shoulders is formed by two swing highs that top out around the same level (the shoulders), separated by a bigger peak called the head. A breakdown below the pattern's support level, called the neckline, triggers the sell signal for this stock. Just remember that until the breakdown below $42 happens, there isn't a trade to take here.
Even though the broad market is pointing up, JNJ and MRK are sporting conspicuous bearish setups. That's a big signal for investors to pay attention to, especially with scores of other stocks breaking out right now. Healthcare as a sector is looking a lot weaker than others (early cycle, liquidity-driven names are the strongest right now), so caveat emptor if you're looking at a healthcare buy before year-end.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV