News that the Uncle Sam was exiting is position in General Motors (GM) provided a big 6.6% move in the stock yesterday, pushing shares through a resistance level at $26, and triggering a bullish setup in shares. This is one perfect example of the technicals leading the fundamentals in the real world. And it's an example of a stock that could have further to run before the calendar flips over to 2013...
That's because GM had been forming an ascending triangle pattern, a setup that's formed by horizontal resistance above shares and uptrending support below them. Essentially, as GM bounced in between those two technical price levels, it was getting squeezed closer and closer to a breakout above that $26 resistance level. Yesterday's news gave traders that breakout.
Obviously, GM is a good distance above that resistance line thanks to the gap we saw yesterday, ramping up the risk a little today. And sure enough, we're seeing a bit of a throwback early in this morning's session. That's not necessarily a bad thing -- $26 is the nearest support level for shares, so if you're looking for an ideal place to buy GM here, I'd recommend waiting for the next bounce higher.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV