NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Popular searches on the Internet include New York Stock Exchange as the owner of the NYSE, NYSE Euronext (NYX), is in a deal to be acquired by InterContinentalExchange (ICE) for $8.2 billion.
The acquisition would create a more diversified financial exchange company, combining NYSE's stock-related trading business and ICE's commodities and derivatives trading business. ICE released a statement saying it is committed to preserving the NYSE Euronext brand and the company will maintain dual headquarters.
The deal should allow the company to reduce costs and better compete with CME Group, which owns the Chicago Mercantile Exchange and Chicago Board of Trade and has a large derivatives business.
Over a year ago, the U.S. government blocked ICE and Nasdaq OMX Group from a hostile takeover of NYSE Euronext due to anti-trust concerns.
Google (GOOG) is trending as the company is selling its Motorola Mobility Home division to Arris Group (ARRS) for $2.4 billion. As part of the agreement, Google will receive $2.05 billion in cash and $300 million in Arris shares, giving Google a 16% stake in Arris. Reports had been circulating since March that Google was hoping to sell the struggling cable box unit, even though its purchase of Motorola Mobility wasn't cleared by regulators until May 2012. Arris, a communications technology company, expects the deal to save the company $100 million to $125 million in annual operating costs.
Ericsson (ERIC) is another popular search. Ericsson is taking a $1.2 billion charge for writing off the value of its ST-Ericsson joint venture with STMicroelectronics (STM).
The chatter on Main Street (a.k.a. Google, Yahoo! and other search sites) is always of interest to investors on Wall Street. Thus, each day, TheStreet compiles the stories that are trending on the Web, and highlights the news that could make stocks move. -- Written by Brittany Umar.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV