NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Upstart commodities trading platform IntercontinentalExchange (ICE) made a $8.2 billion takeover bid for NYSE Euronext (NYX), putting the iconic Big Board back in play after regulators squashed merger plans last year.
The deal announced Thursday values NYSE Euronext at $33.12 a share, or a 37.7% premium based on Wednesday's closing price. ICE will use a combination of existing shares and cash to close the deal, which is expected to be completed in the second half of 2013. NYSE Euronext shareholders will own about 36% of ICE shares post-transaction, according to a statement from the companies.
"We believe the combined company will be better positioned to compete and serve customers across a broad range of asset classes by uniting our global brands, expertise and infrastructure," said ICE Chairman and CEO Jeffrey C. Sprecher, in a statement.
As part of the deal, ICE said it laid out its plans post merger which includes finding $450 million in "synergies" (i.e. cost cuts), maintaining dual headquarters in Atlanta and New York and exploring an initial public offering of NYSE's Euronext operations as a "Continental European-based entity."The announcement said that Sprecher will continue as chairman and CEO and that Duncan L. Niederauer -- current NYSE -- will be president. "This transaction leverages the strength of our iconic brand and the value we have created in our global equity and derivatives franchises - positioning the business for solid long-term growth and development," Niederauer said in a statement. Completion of the deal is no sure thing. In 2011, the U.S. Department of Justice blocked a hostile bid from ICE and Nasdaq OMX Group (NDAQ) for the NYSE on anti-trust concerns.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV