PITTSBURGH, Dec. 20, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- BNY Mellon, the global leader in investment management and investment services, and its employees donated more than $7 million and 10,000 hours of volunteer service to Pittsburgh-area nonprofits during 2012.
With BNY Mellon's support, its community partners continued to drive positive change in 2012 and helped their populations stay connected to critical programs and services – from helping homeless families secure safe housing and youth transitioning out of foster care, to providing utility assistance and employment training to low-income individuals.
BNY Mellon's philanthropic focus on Powering Potential helps people in need by concentrating on basic needs and workforce development opportunities. Through the program, BNY Mellon supports programs and initiatives that make local communities better places to live and work, particularly by targeting organizations that provide food, clothing, energy and housing assistance to those who need immediate help, and improve access to employment through job training and skills development.
"We are committed to strengthening the communities in which our employees live and work, with collaborative, effective charitable programs that deliver financial assistance and harness our employee talent to make a difference for those in need," said James P. McDonald, BNY Mellon's director of global philanthropy.For 2012, grants focused on workforce development and basic needs included the following:
- KidsVoice – $175,000 in support of the "Passport to Independence" Program for youth transitioning out of foster care.
- Sisters Place, Inc. – $50,000 in support of transitional and permanent housing programs for 32 homeless single parents and their children.
- Dollar Energy Fund, Inc. – $150,000 in support of the "Hardship" program, which provides direct utility assistance grants to low-income families in southwestern Pennsylvania.
- Travelers Aid Society – $100,000 in support of the "Employment and Transportation Assistance" program, which provides employment, training and retention programs for more than 830 low-income individuals.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV