NEW YORK, Dec. 20, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- BNY Mellon, the global leader in investment management and investment services, and its employees donated more than $11 million and 8,000 hours of volunteer service to New York-area nonprofits during 2012.
BNY Mellon's philanthropic focus on Powering Potential helps people in need by concentrating on basic needs and workforce development opportunities. Through the program, BNY Mellon supports programs and initiatives that make local communities better places to live and work, particularly by targeting organizations that provide food, clothing, energy and housing assistance to those who need immediate help, and improve access to employment through job training and skills development.
"By combining our financial resources with the volunteer power of our employees, we're strengthening our communities and making meaningful and measurable differences for individuals, children and families in need," said Daisey Holmes, BNY Mellon's head of philanthropy and volunteer programs in the New York region.
For 2012, Powering Potential funding included:
- Disaster Relief – More than $1.1 million to the American Red Cross and many local agencies to provide disaster relief and recovery assistance for those most impacted by Hurricane Sandy. Funding supported immediate emergency response efforts offering food and temporary shelter, as well as rebuilding efforts being led by Habitat for Humanity and Rebuilding Together.
- Veterans Initiative – More than $450,000 to support employment and training programs for returning servicemen and women to successfully transition back into civilian life; support for military families to pursue educational training, licensing and certification to increase employability; and housing assistance to prevent homelessness among the veteran population;
- Food and Shelter – More than $2 million directed towards programs that provide clothing for youth, temporary and permanent housing for homeless individuals and families, nutritional education, food stamp access, and the distribution of more than 880,000 meals.
- Education – More than $1.1 million to support programs that improve high school graduation rates of students; mentoring programs that provide meaningful relationships to at-risk in-school youth including youth transitioning out of foster care; youth internship programs; and scholarship assistance for low-income students.
- Workforce Training – More than $580,000 to support programs that offer skills training for multiple entry points into industries including culinary arts, information technology, healthcare janitorial services and office positions; resume building, job readiness training and professional certification for individuals entering workforce for the first time; and a pre-professional development program for undergraduates.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV