3. East West Bancorp
Shares of East West Bancorp (EWBC) of Los Angeles closed at $21.62 Wednesday, returning 12% year-to-date, following a 2% return during 2011.
The shares trade for 1.7 times tangible book value, and for 10.8 times the consensus 2013 earnings estimate of two dollars a share. The consensus 2014 EPS estimate is $2.09.
Based on a quarterly payout of 10 cents, the shares have a dividend yield of 1.85%. The company repurchased $50 million worth of common shares during the second quarter.
The company had $4.0 billion in total assets as of Sept. 30. Earnings have been good, with operating ROA improving to 1.31% from 1.14% over the past five quarters. East West Bancorp reported third-quarter earnings available to common shareholders of $69.4 million, or 48 cents a share, increasing from $68.8 million, or 47 cents a share, in the second quarter, and from $60.7 million, or 41 cents a share, in the third quarter of 2011.Total loans grew by 2% year-over-year, to $14.5 billion as of Sept. 30, however, non-real estate commercial loans were up 9 sequentially and 24% year-over-year, to $3.7 billion. The company's net interest margin -- adjusted to exclude "the net impact to interest income of $25.6 million resulting from covered loan activity and amortization of [its] FDIC indemnification asset" -- was 3.95% during the third quarter, holding up well in the low-rate environment, as it narrowed from 4.01% the previous quarter and 3.98% a year earlier. The company provided fourth-quarter guidance, including EPS ranging from 47 to 49 cents, with the margin declining further, to 3.90%. Clark's price target for East West Bancorp is $26, and he estimates the company will earn $2.05 a share in 2013, with EPS increasing to $2.26 in 2014. EWBC data by YCharts
Interested in more on East West Bancorp? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV