3. East West Bancorp
Shares of East West Bancorp (EWBC) of Los Angeles closed at $21.62 Wednesday, returning 12% year-to-date, following a 2% return during 2011.
The shares trade for 1.7 times tangible book value, and for 10.8 times the consensus 2013 earnings estimate of two dollars a share. The consensus 2014 EPS estimate is $2.09.
Based on a quarterly payout of 10 cents, the shares have a dividend yield of 1.85%. The company repurchased $50 million worth of common shares during the second quarter.
The company had $4.0 billion in total assets as of Sept. 30. Earnings have been good, with operating ROA improving to 1.31% from 1.14% over the past five quarters. East West Bancorp reported third-quarter earnings available to common shareholders of $69.4 million, or 48 cents a share, increasing from $68.8 million, or 47 cents a share, in the second quarter, and from $60.7 million, or 41 cents a share, in the third quarter of 2011.Total loans grew by 2% year-over-year, to $14.5 billion as of Sept. 30, however, non-real estate commercial loans were up 9 sequentially and 24% year-over-year, to $3.7 billion. The company's net interest margin -- adjusted to exclude "the net impact to interest income of $25.6 million resulting from covered loan activity and amortization of
Interested in more on East West Bancorp? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV