VANCOUVER, British Columbia, Dec. 19, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Coastal Contacts Inc. ("Coastal" or "the Company") (Nasdaq:COA) (TSX:COA) (Stockholm:COA), the largest online retailer of vision care products in the world, announced today its financial results for the fourth quarter and fiscal year ended October 31, 2012.
For the year ended October 31, 2012:
- Total eyeglasses sales increased 22% to $48 million from $39 million during the same period in 2011.
- Sales increased by $13.4 million or 7% to $196.1 million from $182.7 million during the same period in 2011.
- Total contact lens sales increased 3% to $148.2 million from $143.5 million during the same period in 2011.
- Gross profit increased 11% to $84.5 million and as a percentage of sales, gross margin increased to 43% compared with 42% during the same period in 2011.
- Adjusted EBITDA* was $1.4 million compared with $0.7 million during the same period in 2011.
- Cash and equivalents of $19.2 million compared with $16.9 million at the end of the same period in 2011.
* Adjusted EBITDA is a non-IFRS measure that does not have a standardized meaning prescribed by IFRS and is therefore unlikely to be comparable to similar measures presented by other companies. Refer to table for a reconciliation of net earnings to Adjusted EBITDA.The Company noted the following operating highlights for 2012:
- Total order volume was approximately 2.3 million orders in fiscal 2012.
- Customer base grew to 4.3 million vision corrected customers.
- Eyeglasses shipments grew to 987,000 pairs, an increase of 27% over 2011.
- Splash™, Coastal's proprietary contact lens brand, comprised 6% of contact lens unit sales during the period.
- Exclusive designer eyeglasses frames accounted for 72% of overall eyeglasses sales.
- Total eyeglasses sales increased 27% to $13.8 million from $10.9 million during the same period in 2011.
- Sales increased to $50.7 million from $48.7 million during the same period of 2011.
- Gross profit increased 18% to $23.3 million and as a percentage of sales, gross margin increased to 46% compared with 40% during the same period in 2011.
- Adjusted EBITDA was a loss of $0.4 million compared with $0.1 million during the same period in 2011.
- Net loss for the period was $2.6 million compared with $1.5 million during the same period in 2011.
- Eyeglasses sales into the United States market increased by 100% when compared with the same period in 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV