Capital One's shares have now risen 39% year-to-date, following a flat return during 2011.
The shares trade for 1.5 times tangible book value, according to Thomson Reuters Bank Insight, and for 8.3 times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of $7.03, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters. The consensus 2014 EPS estimate is $7.39.
FBR Capital Markets analyst Paul Miller on Wednesday included Capital One among his list of "five top stocks in the financial services/real estate sector" for 2013, because of its "compelling valuation" with a price target of $72, or 10 times the analyst's 2013 EPS estimate of $7.15, and 1.1 times his year-end 2013 tangible book value estimate.
Miller also cited Capital One's "expected resumption of the dividend, and increased earnings power," following its great transition during 2012, with the acquisition of ING Direct (USA) providing plenty of deposit liquidity in advance of the company's purchase of HSBC's (HBC) U.S. credit card portfolio."We believe that the issues restraining the stock in the near term (seasonal weakness in credit card asset quality, concerns regarding the amount of planned asset runoff, and elevated non-interest expense) will be positively resolved in 1H13," he said. COF data by YCharts
Interested in more on Capital One? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV