French President Wants New Era With Algeria
Asked why things can be different this time, Hollande said that this time "the method has changed" and actions will be replaced by words.
He said, however, that he will not apologize for France's "colonial system" during his visit.
"I did not come here ... to seek repentance or (make) excuses. I speak what is the truth, what is history," he said.
"I'm not here to open the closets. I'm here so that we can build a new house together," Hollande said. "The most important subject is the future."He said he has invited Bouteflika, 75, for a state visit to France. Next year Hollande will visit neighboring Morocco and Tunisia, also former French colonies. ___ Elaine Ganley reported from Paris. Sylvie Corbet in Paris contributed to this report.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV