Even as retailers have expanded purchase options and welcomed digital shoppers into stores this holiday season, most Americans believe that retailers could do more to enhance the in-store shopping experience, according to a just-released national poll conducted by GfK Roper in conjunction with SapientNitro, part of Sapient (NASDAQ: SAPE).
Seven in ten (70%) Americans agree that “retailers could do more to enhance the in-store shopping experience.” Highly valued enticements include:
- The ability to buy products in-store but have them shipped to home for free (79%)
- Free Wi-Fi (63%)
- Interactive displays or kiosks that provide additional information or recommendations about a product (57%)
- Exclusive in-store mobile offers (56%).
Among smartphone users, a majority would also like:
- To view store circulars/flyers on their phone (67%),
- In-store navigation smartphone apps (59%), and
- The option for mobile payment or to check out by scanning their mobile phone (59%).
“Many of our retail clients are redefining their in-store shopping experience to reach today’s connected consumer,” said Chris Davey, global head of commerce at SapientNitro. “The 2012 holiday shopping season marked a fundamental shift in which retailers not only recognized but accommodated digital shoppers in the in-store experience. From investing in GPS-enabled store maps or updating mobile shopping apps for smartphones and tablets, retailers placed big bets on today’s ‘always-on’ shopper and both parties won. Their efforts made holiday shopping easier but have raised consumer expectations for more.”Many Turn to Showrooming, Blend Online/Offline Behaviors While embracing digital in their lives, respondents want to preserve their family time too. The majority of Americans (62%) feel it is wrong that stores are opening earlier and earlier on Thanksgiving Day just to get a jump on Black Friday sales.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV