V: Technical Setups For a Seasonal Stock
TheStreet Premium Services
A complimentary preview
of Options-Profits Previews
Bulls have given new meaning to an upside bias during monthly expiration. Heading into the third Friday of every month stocks tend to grind higher as trades are unwound and bulls and bears reconcile their positions. This is even more prevalent when futures contracts are being rolled as well.
That's fairly normal and was to be expected this week. What we got was nearly a 2.5% rally for the $SPX over the course of the past two days. Definitely not a market I want to short, at least not right now. And while the rally was a quick one, be careful piling in long here. We've reached extensions and retracements show on today's daily chart that could put an end to the bull run but we'll need to see sell signals before attempting new put positions.
In the meantime it's a stock pickers market and Visa (V) is one that stood yesterday. The stock made new 52-week highs during Tuesday's session and with a daily Squeeze to back us I like the potential for getting to the 1.618% extension at $153.58.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) had a nice pop Tuesday and while we're approaching the mean on the daily charts we're looking for a bigger move from this trend. If we break below the December 14 low (a near perfect example of symmetry) we'll have to reevaluate the trade, but until then we continue to hold our long positions looking for at least a move to $20.21.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits
John can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/johnfcarter
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV