Mortgage Boom Still a 'Once-in-a-Lifetime Opportunity'
Plymouth Meeting, Pa.-based New Penn Financial says that you can easily snag a new home right now or refinance an existing one, even if your finances are problematic.
"It's now possible to purchase a first home or to refinance at record low mortgage rates -- even if your home has severely depreciated in value," says Bob Johnson, director of capital markets with New Penn.
Some of the interest comes from a tweak to a government-sponsored home loan program.
"The modifications made to President Obama's Home Affordable Refinance Program are another boon to many borrowers, especially those underwater on their mortgages," Johnson says. He explains that more consumers can grab a HARP loan because there is no longer a loan-to-value cap. "You can owe more than 125% of your home's worth and still be eligible," he adds.The company reports it's seeing 30-year mortgage rates as low as 3.3%, and 15-year rates as low as 2.66% these days. Those are ridiculously low rates, and you can make a smart financial move by locking in those low rates for the life of your home mortgage. You'll need good credit, and you'll need to shop around. But good mortgages are low-hanging fruit going into 2013. And by all indications, it looks like things are going to stay that way.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV