A.M. Best Comments That Ratings Are Unchanged For Alterra Capital Holdings Ltd. And Its Operating Subsidiaries
A.M. Best Co. has commented that the financial strength rating (FSR) of A (Excellent) and issuer credit ratings (ICR) of “a” of Alterra Bermuda Limited (Alterra Bermuda) and its affiliated operating companies are unchanged based on the proposed transaction between Alterra Capital Holdings Ltd. (Alterra) [NASDAQ: ALTE] and Markel Corporation (Virginia) [NYSE: MKL] . Concurrently, A.M. Best has commented that the ICR of “bbb” of Alterra is unchanged as well and the debt ratings of Alterra, Alterra USA Holdings Limited, Alterra Finance, LLC (both domiciled in Delaware) and Alterra Capital Trust I. The outlook for all ratings is stable. The above named companies are domiciled in Bermuda, unless otherwise specified. (See below for a detailed listing of the companies and ratings.)
The ratings reflect the organization’s historical solid financial performance and strong risk-adjusted capitalization. Post-merger, Alterra will be part of a larger organization with more scale and reach while remaining a specialty underwriter. Risk-adjusted capitalization is expected to remain strong. The closing is expected to take place in the second quarter of 2013, subject to regulatory approval and customary closing conditions.
Rating factors that could lead to a downgrading of Alterra’s ratings or a revision in the outlook to negative include unfavorable operating profitability trends, outsized catastrophe or investment losses relative to peers, significant adverse loss reserve development, a material decline in risk-adjusted capital and/or an unsuccessful execution of the transaction, which could damage the Alterra franchise. Alternatively, factors that could lead to an upgrading of the ratings include continued favorable operating profitability coupled with maintenance of strong risk-adjusted capital levels and/or additional support from the new parent organization.
The FSR of A (Excellent) and ICRs of “a” are unchanged for Alterra Bermuda Limited and its following operating affiliates:
- Alterra Europe plc
- Alterra America Insurance Company
- Alterra Excess and Surplus Insurance Company
- Alterra Reinsurance USA Inc.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV