Apple is reportedly prepping its next version of the iPad mini, which was announced in October. It's expected that Apple will announce the next-gen device in 2013, though the time frame is still up for debate.
The iPad mini has sold well, despite initial concerns over the lack of Retina Display on the smaller tablet, which starts at $329. Rumors continue to suggest that the next-generation device will encompass Retina Display, which is currently used in the larger versions of the iPad.
Upon first seeing the iPad mini, I gave it a favorable review, noting how light it was but sturdy at the same time. As Apple continues to roll out the iPad mini to its laundry list of countries, it wouldn't surprise me to see continued adoption of the tablet, at the expense of the larger iPad and other Android-based tablets. Google (GOOG) makes the Android operating system.Don't expect the next-gen iPad mini anytime soon though. The roll-out of the original iPad mini still has to take place. Though Apple has changed up its product release dates recently to keep journalists and Wall Street on their toes, considering the barrage of products released at the end of 2012, I suspect Apple engineers will have a little bit of time before they have to crank out "one more thing" in 2013. My best guess is sometime in the summer, or perhaps the fall of next year. Interested in more on Apple? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV