Still, for UBS and HSBC, billion dollar-plus sized fines could have been worse. The New York Times reported in mid-December that U.S. lawmakers were considering a far more punitive enforcement of HSBC's money laundering violations that could have precluded the bank from operating in the U.S. Meanwhile, a guilty plea in the U.S. - UBS is alleged to have manipulated seven different rates - could have spelled a similar fate for the Swiss bank.
In 2009, UBS paid a then record a $780 million fine with U.S. tax authorities to settle a tax evasion scandal that landed former employees in prison and unveiled billions in unpaid taxes among thousands of wealthy Americans. Recently, a UBS trader, Kweku Adoboli, was given a seven year prison sentence for a multi-year rogue trading scheme that caused the bank a $2.3 billion loss.
Other European banking conglomerates have also come under scrutiny for violating U.S. controls, such as anti-money laundering regulations. On Monday, Standard Chartered (STAN) paid $327 million to federal and state authorities to settle allegations the bank transacted payments for restricted Iranian and Sudanese clients.
In June, ING settled with U.S. authorities over restricted payments to Iran and Cuba for $619 million.Meanwhile, roughly a dozen global banks -- including many of the largest lenders in the U.S. -- face regulatory fines related to the manipulation of short-term interest rates. Follow @agara2004 -- Written by Antoine Gara in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV